Friday, August 21, 2009

A Little About Korea


So I wasn't going to write anything today, but since I'm unloved and don't have many messages I've decided to write a post anyway. Plus, both times I've been on here I keep forgetting the things I really want to talk about so last night I made a list of them so I wouldn't forget. I've been mostly telling about what I've done so far, but I want to tell about the people and the country more. So here goes:
The mountain's here are phenomenal! Most days it's been rather cloudy (but still insanely hot and humid!) and even with the sun out in full force, the mountains look like they're foggy. Today however, Kris and I were walking to the internet cafe and just stopped and stared. You could see every jagged peek, every bush, tree...it was so beautiful! I wish I had my camera on me right now! The mountains surround us completely and you think you can't get out of them, but when we're on the bus, you just keep driving, yet you're still surrounded on all sides! It's amazing how God created this country! The people here are fantastic and SO accommodating! They make us huge meals everyday and go out of the way to make us comfortable. Last night it while it was pouring rain and thundering a Korean man named Hyung came up to us and taught us a Korean version of Jacks. It was a lot of fun and passed the time nicely! We also have this one cook who constantly bugs us (in a good way!), gives high fives (though I've learned not to be going up the stairs when I give one!), and remembers our names. He also keeps trying to get us to eat all kinds of crazy food...most of which we're not so sure we want to eat. So he eats it, then makes fun of us for being to chicken. All the Koreans take pictures of us too...it's kinda creepy at first since you see them very obviously take a picture of you, smile, and point straight at you. They're definately not discreet! Which I think I'll like since it's more weird when you're not sure if the person is pointing at you or something else. Might as well just make it obvious! Even if they are laughing at your blonde hair or insane height...
Korean's have learned to utilize every spec of space available to them. Where we would have huge garden's, grass fields, and parks, the Koreans plant rice fields, beans, or gardens. It's weird driving on a highway and instead of seeing a flower bed, there's a cluster of bean plants. Even in the ditches...it's weird! The thing I miss the most so far (besides Dustie and Gem) is GRASS! All I want to do is lay down in a grass field and smell freshly cut grass! So if anyone wants to send me a gift...freshly cut grass would be nice! ok, maybe not.
Bathrooms... it is impossible to take a shower without soaking the ENTIRE bathroom! The tubs are tiny and there's not such thing as a shower curtain and the shower heads are those take off thing that you have to squeeze to work and if they're upside down they shut off...annoying! You should see the toilets too...girls, if you ever come here, learn to pee while squatting over a hole in the ground. The bonus is it's not a dirt hole and it's in doors.
Yesterday I promised a video...but apparently youtube doesn't let me upload one because there's a block on it in Korea. Don't ask why. So until I figure out some other way you'll have to live with pictures! That's all for now!

1 comment:

  1. It sound so amazing! I'm glad it's all going well for you! <3

    I read somewhere that if you change the country setting on your youtube page to a different country they'll allow you to upload a video in Korea. You could give it a try!! If not, maybe try yahoo video or dailymotion! They seem to work pretty well.

    ReplyDelete