Wednesday, August 19, 2009

End of Quarantine


Kristen and I just got kicked out of our room by the cleaning ladies so here I am listening to some children Korean show over the speakers outside the convenience store. It's starting to get annoying actually and since English children shows are annoying, when you can't understand the language...
The last couple days Kristen and I have gone on a major hike. The first time we did it I swore I wouldn't do it again, but the very next morning there I was climbing the same insane mountain as the day before! The bonus is we head out to our swimming hole that we found at the trail head right after the hike so we can cool down. There's always someone at the swimming hole and we couldn't figure out why there were never any Koreans there. They're always at much smaller rivers and swimming holes. Then one of the girls saw a Korean lady washing a dirty bucket there, we saw one of those big cement storm pipe things going into the swimming hole. It didn't stop us swimming though. There's fish alive in there so if they can survive, how bad can it be? right?
All this hiking and swimming and sweating has me in dire need of a washing machine though... I've run out of summer clothes to wear!
Our last official day of Quarantine brought us to a Buddist Temple about a half hour bus ride from our hotel. It not what I expected. I was thinking more along the lines of a Mosque type building, but it's a whole community basically. There's an area we weren't allowed the housed the monks and other families. I'm not sure exactly who. It all looked kinda like a middle ages village with a market square in the middle and shops on the outside. This took imagination, but that's what it felt like!
oh! I've tried Octopus! It doesn't really have a taste. It's really really chewy though. Not my most favourite dish. We ordered pizza last night though. It was so good... and I don't even crave it ever, it just felt nice to eat something western for once!
We had an interesting lesson yesterday. We learned Korean dinner etiquette and at 3:00 in the afternoon learned how to properly drink Soju or, Korean alcohol. It's served pretty much at every gathering of some kind and we're told our schools will serve it to us as well. Apparently you have to drink it, but once you have one, you can refuse more. But oh man! these Koreans can really drink.... I can't believe it! Soju is 20% alcohol too... something I didn't check right away. It's also not the best tasting stuff. It's tastes like it's watered down, but with Orange juice it's good.
Tomorrow we start orientation officially so I'm guessing our daily hikes and swimming adventures will be rather minimal or non existent. I've made up a video of some of my adventures so far, but I can't seem to post it on here so internet savvy Kristen is going to help me get it on youtube and I'll post the link here so you can all see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment