Monday, August 24, 2009

Costs


Ok. This topic deserves special attention because I'm so much more lucky than all you people stuck back in Canada right now!
We got a 2 L bottle of water in Jirisan for 1000 won which is about 87 cents Canadian. In Gwangju we can get 2 L for 640 won or, 56 cents. It's amazing considering how much water I drink. On the other hand, a tiny box of Special K cost me almost $3 Canadian. It was really really small and isn't even real special k. I'm so disappointed and really wish I remembered to pack a bag (which I serious was going to do, until I forgot).
Apparently you can get passport photo's for a couple bucks...I paid $14 for two back home. You can also get your wisdom teeth pulled here for $20 a tooth. A doctors visit and medication can cost about $20 if you go to a clinic, but $100 if you go to the hospital. Apparently prescription sunglasses (well, glasses in general) are really cheap too so I'm going to get me a pair while I'm here! Dentist is cheap. So Mom, be thankful that I refused to go to the dentist back home because of the cost. I'll just go here! maybe. :) Electronics are the same cost, unfortunately. I really wanted to get one of those gorgeous digital cameras for cheap here...
For beer drinkers, Korea is heaven. For a bottle double the size of the ones at home, it costs just over $1. Soju, Korean's specialty also costs less than $2. I don't remember the exact prices. But if you want Soju in Canada, it costs almost $5 because it's imported. Which is also why my cereal is bloody expensive!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tara,
    I just read all of your posts...sounds great so far. Good for you for trying all of the weird food; I don't think I would try it all. Don't forget to check out the dollar stores. Ben has some really cool stuff from the Korean dollar stores that Nate's aunt brought back for him.
    Aunt Kelly

    ReplyDelete