Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A 36 Hour Birthday

Yesterday was the first birthday I had outside of Canada and it was weird. When I woke up Monday morning it didn't feel like my birthday. I think it's because deep down I was thinking that it isn't really my birthday yet because in Canada it's still the fourth and you can't just skip a day in your life even if you can skip a day going over seas. That might not make sense, but in my mind it does. Lucky for me I didn' t have school on my birthday because my school still had a holiday that day for Chuseok. Kristen however, did have school so I was all alone... I spent the morning talking to my family on webcam, catching up on the latest gossip while attempting to show them around my apartment and the street below all while webcam kept on freezing. It was rather annoying, but we made it work. I'm still using Kristen's computer for webcam since mine is STILL broken, and her computer always has background programs running so that may have been why skype wasn't working right.
Anyway, I went for a run - it was the first cold morning in Korea! Go figure it's on my birthday! At home it rains on my birthday, here it's the first cold morning. I stress, first cold MORNING. The afternoon was cookin' hot like usual. I went grocery shopping, talked to some friends online and generally did nothing. One of my co-teachers called and we went out to finally set up my cell phone so now I have a phone! Except that since I am using an old one, they didn't have an adaptor for the charger that would fit in my phone so my phone is dead so that doesn't really help me! Hopefully I'll get that this week though! that's the plan anyway, but we already know how plans work in Korea...they take FOREVER!
Monday night I talked to Rach on webcam, but again, difficulties arose and we ended up only talking, not seeing each other. It was really nice to be able to talk to her again and hear her voice. We could talk for hours on the phone in Canada if we lost track of time and I missed that. Plus Rach's random comments she says without thinking...I miss those! Our conversation only ended because Rach...oh wait, I shouldn't say that. Rach would kill me. If you know Rach though you probably know why she had to end the conversation!
Monday night I got the best surprise of my life and the best present I've ever gotten (Mom, Dad, I appreciate all your gifts since I was a kid, but this one was special!). Adelle called me!! It cost $2 a minute for her to call me, but she called anyway and we talked for five minutes. It made me so happy! It also felt more like my birthday about then because it was October 5th in both Canada AND in Korea. All morning today too I got birthday wishes even though it was the 6th here. It was so weird to have birthday wishes one day and then wake up the next morning and still get birthday wishes. I'm thinking that when I get back to Canada I'll have a 36 hour birthday anyway! So that was my birthday in Korea this year!

1 comment:

  1. My computer is awesome. You just have to give it love and affection. And hugs.

    ReplyDelete